Accra Ghana Mission/Accra Ghana West Mission

Monday, April 16, 2012

Saying goodbye to a good friend

Hello Family and friends,
How is everyone doing? I appreciate everyone's letters and emails that I have received. It really is good to be able to hear from everyone. I miss all of you so very much. This week has been really good for us. It was transfers this week so sadly, but to his relief Elder Brown was transferred to Oda (the bush). I'm quite jealous myself because I want to leave the city quite a bit. But, for the time being, I really love my area. I really love the members here in La and all of the leaders in the ward especially bishop. He is a huge help to this ward. At the beginning of the week I went on splits with Elder Wicho and we went to say goodbye to all of the missionaries who were going home aka my trainer. It was good to say goodbye to him and to see him but I could tell he was really reluctant to leave. I really did love being his companion I couldn't have asked for a better trainer and first companion he really started my mission out right, and that's the same thing I'm trying to do for my companion. Training is anything but easy but it is cool to see his desire to serve and his love for serving growing as the time goes by. Well throughout the week we focused on those investigators that we baptized on Saturday. They are Dede Amoako-A, Emma C, and Rebecca T. Preparing for the baptism is a bit stressful but everything worked out very well. The baptism was really good. I love baptisms. Not just because it shows that we are being successful but so much effort and work goes into helping these people follow the example of Jesus Christ that it just overflows my heart with joy to see them finally making that big step. When you are teaching these investigators you really begin to love them and you stop seeing them as a number but you love them as a person. I strongly believe that one of the biggest keys to being a successful missionary is love. No matter how hard you work if there's not genuine love for the investigator then the spirit rarely attends and the investigator struggles to find that conversion. Love is the key. If you love them you will study specifically for them and you will plan a lesson that is specific to help them. As the investigator feels the love that you have for them it helps them open up to the infinitely greater love that the Savior feels for them. Baptism is like the conclusion to all that we have done and a beginning for what they then need to do. I love this work, I'm confident there isn't a more worthy, worthwhile, or important work happening in the entire world. I am so greatly blessed to be a part of this "Marvelous work and a Wonder."

Love,
Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment