Accra Ghana Mission/Accra Ghana West Mission

Monday, June 3, 2013

Zone Conference and rainy days

Dear Family,
Well. . . where to begin. To be honest this week was not the best. It wasn't terrible and it wasn't really great. On the negative side:
1. We didn't have our baptism... Again. Our candidates are getting a bit upset. It's been a bit frustrating trying to get everything arranged especially with a brand new ward and bishop. It's mostly because it's just getting started, I'm sure once things settle down a bit this ward is going to be great. The bishop is really awesome. I'm very anxious for the coming months.
2. We woke up one morning and realized that in the night someone had used a knife to cut through one of the screens on our window. I'm not sure what they're intention was but it had our apartment a bit freaked out. The next morning we realized that almost every window had it's screen cut. It doesn't bother me too much mostly because all the windows have giant metal bars in them making it extremely difficult for someone to even stick their hand in but my companion is quite freaked out about it.
3. It's been raining like crazy these past few days. It's not fun at all. It really limits the amount of things we can do. It gets really boring in the apartment. 
On the positive side:
1. Subsistence has increased to 180 cedi's to keep up with inflation! Now I can at least hope to eat more healthy and not beans and rice all the time. 
2. We had an awesome zone conference where President Judd, basically said goodbye to everybody since most of those attending will fall into the new mission. I was a bit sad knowing that I really won't be able to be a part of that great movement. But ever grateful knowing that I have been a part of the growth of the church here in Africa.
3. After zone conference we found a place in Accra to eat called Eddy's Pizza. It was nuts. I expected it to be like this average pizza joint but I was a bit surprised when I walked in. I seriously felt like I had entered an American restaurant like Olive Garden. There were fancy... oh what are they called... like cloth napkins, before the meal they brought out these super hot sterilized wash clothes to wash our hands with. It was seriously nuts. And to top it all off the pizza was crazy delicious. By far the best pizza I've had in Ghana. It would seriously compete with an American pizza. It was legit. 
4. Okay to top everything off I got to teach investigators class. Unfortunately we only had two investigators there but we talked about the Fall of Adam. The lesson was pretty good, there was pretty good discussion and at the end I asked if there were any general questions about the church or anything. There was a couple moments of silence and then one of them raises his hand and basically bears his testimony saying how he knows that the church is true. Then the other also nods his a head and said how he also knew that the church was true and how happy he was that he found the truth. It was seriously awesome. One of those tender mercies, but it just made my day. It isn't very often when you hear two investigators spontaneously bear their testimony it was great.
As always I'm so grateful for the opportunity that I have to serve here in Ghana. It is seriously the best place in the world. I know for sure that my call to serve here was indeed inspired of God. This was the place I was meant to be. I continually receive that witness everyday. 
Love,
Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment