Accra Ghana Mission/Accra Ghana West Mission

Monday, November 19, 2012

Busy, Busy Week


Dear Family,
How is everyone doing this week? It sounds like for most it was quite the busy time. I hope that you all will have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Elder and Sister Dalton will be going to Accra for the Couples Conference at the end of this week so it doesn't look like they will be feeding us for Thanksgiving. But, that is okay because our district has made some better plans. Today our district is all coming to Abomosu for a Thanksgiving/one month left, Elder Henderson’s Birthday party. It should be fun. We have bought a ton of chicken that we will fry and we're going to prepare some fried rice! So it’s going to be fun! Missionaries don’t get to eat chicken too often here. Since the party will be today, my letter will be a bit short, so please forgive me. 
Things are still going really well here in the wonderful land of Africa. I can feel that tensions are rising a bit as the election is getting nearer. We contacted one man who had a few choice words to say to us, about how Mormons don’t believe in Christ. We stopped and chatted with him for a while and he told me that I should take him to America. We discussed how I can help him get to Heaven and how it is better than America he said no, I would rather go to America. I then told him I would rather stay in Ghana, and he asked why I thought Ghana was so great. I usually use the answer that Ghanaian s give me and that is, Ghana is peaceful. Most people get really happy and say yes you are so right, Ghana is a peaceful country. This man on the other hand did not respond that way. He laughed and said oh just wait until December 7th when the election comes around then tell me Ghana is peaceful. It took me a bit by surprise. It will be interesting when it comes around. I can tell tensions are high, the NPP (republican) and NDC (democrat) are in a tight race. My bet is that the NDC will win again, but from what of finding. Can I just say I am so thankful that my companion speaks Twi. It makes life so, so, so, much easier. I really love my new companion, he is awesome. We are having a ton of fun together and working hard. It’s going to be a fun transfer. On Tuesday we traveled to Kade for our Zone Training Meeting. Now that I had to preside over the meeting I was a bit more stressed out for it, but I feel it turned out really well. All of the missionaries seemed to enjoy it and hopefully some were inspired to be better. That’s basically why we do them. The rest of the week was just work, work, and more work. They have been difficult days but some of the most rewarding days on my mission. After the meeting on Tuesday and the people we found after I wrote in my journal that today was one of the best days on mission. It feels good to work. This coming week will be extremely busy for us. This weekend is the last week for baptisms in the zone so as of today there are 20 baptisms planned. 3 of them will be for us in our area. We will be doing interviews pretty much every other day this week. Not my favorite thing to do but something that needs to be done to move the work forward. It’s just part of our responsibility. Like always I really love being a missionary. It is full of roller-coaster rides but for the most part it is sweet. I really believe that most times it is the struggle that makes it sweet. We work and work to find prepared people and then work and work to convert them and prepare them for baptism, and when that day comes it is just one of the best feelings in the world, to feel like you are making a difference. Helping men change is one of the best experiences in the world. It is what the Gospel is all about.

Love,
Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment