Dear Family,
Well... driving lessons are going okay. My companion keeps telling me that I am just thinking too much. I only popped the clutch a few times so I think I'm making progress. Hopefully today I will get a bit more experience. It's definitely not easy. Well, like always this week was really good. Last week was a bit depressing but this week has been much better. Nandy is preparing for her baptism on this coming Sunday along with her aunt Martha. Martha is awesome. She is about 54 and speaks very little English but enough to understand us and express herself. One day as we were teaching her she calls to one of her friends sitting nearby to tell her that she can understand what we were saying! She was so excited, every day we go and see her she is just always so happy to see us. I just love her she is sweet.
Now this week we had been greatly blessed. On last Sunday, one of our recent converts, Josephine brought a friend to church named Florence. We were able to go and visit her early in the week and she is also really awesome. Josephine has been teaching her about the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith so she had a basic understanding. As we began our lesson we first asked if she had any questions about church or anything. She responded, "Well... I want to be baptized, so... when are you free?" We nearly began to laugh. Only in Ghana do you find people who just say baptize me. We helped her to understand that she still has to learn a few more things and continue to come to church. During one of our lessons as we were bearing testimony I felt prompted to ask Josephine also, to bear her testimony. She then explained to us how things are not going well for her at home. She is living with her aunt and uncle and they really just are not treating her very well. She said I've thought so many times of going back to my home town to stay but the thought of not having the church reminds me I need to stay." It was a really awesome testimony. On Sunday Florence came to church with her sister, so next week it looks like we'll have a baptism for her as well.
Finally, this week has honestly been one of my favorite weeks on mission mostly due to the progress of one of my recent converts Joshua. Last week we were talking to him about missionary work and asked if he had the desire to serve a mission. He was a bit skeptical but we just left him to think about the scriptures we left him. The next day we came to see him he told us that he was on the net looking at how to prepare for a mission and he read about going out proselyting with the full time missionaries, so he asked how that would be possible. I was so excited. Not only did he have a burning desire to serve a mission but he's going so far as to begin preparing himself already. So we told him that he can come proselyting with us and it has just been so much fun. He took us to some of his schoolmates and we've been teaching them and Joshua brought them with him to church yesterday. Joshua was ordained a priest on Sunday and at school the following day he told his friends how he now has the priesthood power and can baptize. As we met them the first time they were very hesitant to be baptized but after church, as we talked about it more. They said, "Elders, if you told us tomorrow we would baptize we would do it. We want to as soon as we can."
It has been such an awesome experience this week. To see the testimonies of these recent converts and they're desire to share the gospel just brings such joy to my heart. This is what it is all about.
Love.
Elder Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment