Accra Ghana Mission/Accra Ghana West Mission

Monday, February 25, 2013

Testimony, Experiences, and Blessings

Dear Family,
Well where to start. Being a missionary has really blessed my life in so many different ways. Especially, being able to serve here in Ghana has really opened my eyes and helped me to understand the things that truly matter most. The beginning of my mission was difficult. It was a very hard adjustment to live in the conditions I lived in, the change in culture, food, and even the weather. I learned very early on, that to be whom I needed to be, I couldn't do it alone. I must rely on the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I learned to be prayerful and rely upon God’s will. I was given the instruction early on to learn to have the attitude of Jesus Christ when he said, “remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.” I learned to submit my will to the will of my Father in Heaven. The more I had this attitude the more I came to understand and feel the power of the Atonement.
Throughout my mission I have had the opportunity to see people change. In my own life I have felt the healing power of the atonement and especially throughout this time in Ghana I continue to see the healing power in the lives of others. It has been such a blessing to me to see people change. It is hard to truly explain how good it feels to see a person come to understand and love the Gospel in such a way that compels them to change their life to come unto Christ. Being able to teach the simple doctrines of Faith and Repentance continually remind me of the need for self evaluation and to improve myself each day to become more like Christ.
Above all else one of the greatest blessings I have enjoyed while being a missionary is to feel the enabling power of the Atonement of Christ. I have been able to do and say things that I never thought possible. As I rely upon the atonement and do all I can that the grace of God enables me to go further. My mission has really changed my life. It has changed everything about me. I know so much more now about what is most important in life and how to be my best self. I wouldn't trade this time serving the Lord for anything.                                                                                                                                I have had so many just awesome experiences while on my mission. It is always awesome when you are teaching someone and to see them feel what you are saying is true. Some of the sweetest words I've ever heard while hear have simply been, “I know it is true.” I have been able to hear and see that so many times but of all of the experiences that I have had that really stands out is my recent convert that was baptized early this year. At first he was one of those investigators who was coming to church because it was just something to do. He felt one day that he should go and he went and really nothing all that special happened, but he came again. As we were teaching him at first he really didn't seem all that interested. He took everything we said and accepted it but it really didn't seem that he was actually going to make changes in his life. That all changed. About a week before his scheduled baptism we showed up to his place at the arranged time and we noticed something different. This time there was four chairs set out instead of the usual three. He then introduced us to his friend and said I would like you to teach my friend as well. We were more than excited to get the referral but especially to see that he really was experiencing true conversion, he had tasted the fruit now he desired to share it. His baptism came along very smoothly and a bit later we decided to teach him about missionary work. We emphasized more on being a missionary now but also about if he had the desire to be a full time missionary. He really didn't seem all that interested but we asked him to think and even to pray about it. The next time we were there he told us he had been on the internet looking up how to prepare for a  mission and he read about going out proselyting with the full time missionaries, so he asked how that would be possible. We then explained how he could come with us and teach others and we invited him to join us. Soon he introduced us to his classmates and we were able to begin teaching them. It has just been so awesome to see him bearing his testimony in our lessons. Sometimes the investigators will ask questions and I’ll ask him to answer and he has done so well. He was given the Aaronic Priesthood and also bore testimony to his friends how important that is and how he could even be the one to baptize them if they wanted to. This past Sunday those two were baptized by him. To see they’re love and joy just brought peace to my soul. Words really can’t describe how great it feels to see and be a part of such amazing events. I look forward to be able to teach him more and see him become the Priesthood holder and missionary that he has potential to become.                                                                         I know that missionary work is divine. It is God’s work. I know that Joseph Smith is a true prophet that he was called by God to restore truth once again to the earth. I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the Lord’s Kingdom established on the earth.  I know that the Priesthood is once again upon the earth. I know that I have been blessed with the sacred calling of being an Ambassador of Truth. Above all else I know that God does live. The He loves each and everyone of us perfectly. His love is infinite, eternal, and perfect. I know that Jesus Christ is the Son of that Living God, that he was born to die and died so that we all may live. I know that it is only through his name, that we might be saved. He is our King, Redeemer, Savior and friend. He suffered all things so that we might be able to overcome all things. He loves me and I love Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment