Dear Family,Well this last week has been transfers and I am now serving in Kasoa with Elder Draniikamate from Fiji. He is awesome. I love him so far. Well Kasoa is an awesome place. It’s very very hot and very very dusty but it’s a really cool place. It is very different from my previous area’s in that it is a much more wealthy place. This area is full of big houses and very big gates. It is a whole new type of missionary work. I was given a warning prior to coming that my bishop was “not serious.” I don’t think that the ward had a very good relationship with the missionaries. The missionaries told me that the bishop didn't like missionaries and he is unwilling to work with us. So when I first heard that I set my mind that it was going to change. I would do all that I can to fix the relationship. So first against my companions wishes we go and visit the Bishops house. Unfortunately he wasn't there but we visited with the family and it turns out that they’re son went to the MTC the same time as me and I knew him, so that was a cool connection. We made good friends with them and then they invited us to come on Tuesday for an FM, which was a good sign. Then comes Sunday, and whenever a new missionary comes usually they bear they’re testimony so I did and when I told everyone how long I had been on mission the members thought that was pretty cool and they could tell by the way I speak that I had been here awhile. Well just before the meeting is about to close the Bishop gets up to bear his testimony. He begins with some introduction and then says today, I’m going to bear my testimony on the name Smith. He then talks about Joseph Smith and his first missionary discussion then he explains how an Elder Smith was a witness at his sealing. He then said and “now we have an Elder Smith in our ward and we are so blessed. I know that a great miracle will occur while he is in our ward.” I just about died. I did not expect that at all. After words I came and greeted him in the office and he told me how happy he was to have me serving in the ward and that he hopes I will stay in his ward until I go home. I've always been proud to bear the name Smith, but yesterday I felt especially thankful that my name is Smith. I’m sure it was not really my name that completely changed the bishops attitude and I’m not entirely sure if he had a bad attitude to begin with, but nevertheless, I was grateful for that interesting experience. I am so happy to be serving here in Kasoa. I’m sure it won’t be all easy working, and sweating under the sweltering sun but I’m excited to finish my mission working my butt off.
Love,Elder Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment