Dear Family,
This week has been a really good week once again for Elder Littlefield and I. We are really trying to do our best. It is not easy being companions since we are going home and it seems that EVERYONE we talk to seems to mention or ask when we are going home. It really makes it difficult to keep home out of our minds, but we are having a great time. I do love Elder Littlefield. I'm very happy to be his companion.
Usually in my emails home I like to talk so much about the success that I've had. I'm always talking about the conversion of others and I think I really have failed to explain how bad it hurts when you work with someone for so long but they don't really become converted. Today, I think I will try to do that with an experience I had this week.
This really starts a long time ago, when I first came to Kasoa, being a companion with Elder Draniikamate. We were teaching Osei, the young boy that we baptized in April. As we went to visit him at his house there was a young girl there named Rejoice. To be honest the first thing that struck me was, Wow, she is very beautiful. We introduced ourselves to her and we invited her to sit through the lesson with us as we taught Osei. She didn't really seem all that serious but we took her number and told her that we would come and visit her one day. Well a few weeks passed and we were near her place so we decided to go and teach her with our ward mission leader Jeson. We met her and taught her the restoration and she understood it remarkably well. She payed close attention and so we set an appointment to meet her again in a few days. We returned at the appointed time and met her and her, well I guess you could say, fiance. I was a bit shocked. She never told us that she was living with someone. So we talked to him and he said that she told him all of the things that we taught her and he really wanted to meet us and learn more. From then on we began teaching these two together, and I've never had a better time teaching than them. They were both so cute together and they were happy together. You could tell that they really loved each other and I loved it. We taught both of them, helping them make some changes and progress towards getting married and eventually their baptism. We finally were able to work out everything in the traditional way for them to be considered "married." It has been my plan since I've met them to baptize the couple together before I go home. This last week that plan or goal, or even wish went up in smoke. Last week we met with Daniel and we agreed upon a date for his baptism and then he asked us if it was okay for a married couple to attend different churches. We explained that it isn't forbidden but there is a better way and we talked about temple marriage and it was great. Then this week we went to visit Rejoice but Daniel was still at work so we talked to her about baptism as well, then she told us that she knew everything we've taught her is true. She knows Joseph Smith is a prophet, and the church is true but, she wouldn't leave her church. Just before we came they had baptized her and she didn't think she should change. I've tried everything I knew but it just didn't work. She wouldn't budge. I left that lesson more down hearted than any lesson before. Honestly I was heartbroken. My biggest wish and hope was to finish my mission by baptizing them together, and unfortunately it won't happen. It was rough. This Sunday will be the baptism for her husband Daniel. I know it is just not her time but I pray that eventually she will follow Daniel and join the church.
I will let you know how the baptism goes this week. I just hope that Rejoice will come to church to see Daniel get baptized. I know that might help. There is a possibility to baptize her the last Sunday before I go. We'll see what God will do.
Love,
Elder Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment