Accra Ghana Mission/Accra Ghana West Mission

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Tro Tro's and buses


Dear Family and friends,
How is everyone doing this week? It’s been another busy week for us in Asuom. I feel like I say that every week, but it’s true. I feel like half of my time is spent traveling from place to place. This week was exceptionally ridiculous. Last Monday we began the week with an interesting taxi ride. It seemed like we fit half of the branch leadership into one taxi plus us two missionaries. One even had the
opportunity to ride in the trunk! Tuesday we travelled to our district meeting in Abomosu which ends up using like half of that day. On Thursday we had Zone Conference in Koforidua. We woke up at four to catch the big bus to Koforidua that was supposed to leave at five. We waited for a few minutes then found out that the bus had left early so we woke up early for no reason.  We waited for the big bus to take us to Abomosu. Luckily it came but rather unluckily it was full so we got to stand the entire hour and a half drive.  Thankfully the Daltons gave us a ride from there to Koforidua.  I don’t think words can explain how grateful I was for that AC drive. The Zone Conference was awesome. It’s good to spend some time with the fellow missionaries and hear from our mission president. The ride back to Abomosu was interesting. We had to take some more missionaries back with us so we had to pile in the bed of the Daltons truck. It was pretty great. Sister Judd came by and looked at us and said you know I would tell you that you shouldn’t do this
because you’re supposed to wear your seatbelts but I know that riding in a tro tro probably isn’t much safer. I responded, this is probably much safer at least we know our driver is sober.

Now that I look back I probably gave her an unreasonable amount of stress by that comment. Generally our drivers are at least mostly sober. The drive itself was pretty fun though, being able to spend some time with Elders Hendersen, Chaffetz, and Gann.

We also had an interesting transportation experience on Friday. We had to do some interviews in Oda on Friday. When travelling by tro tro you have to be careful not to miss the last car out of the station or you will be stuck there. Well we thought we had some time to catch the last car to Kade out of Oda. Regardless we hurried to the station just to be safe only to find out that the last car was currently loading.
We get there to find that it was full, and I mean full. Well we tried to get them to allow us in until we had to give the driver a bit of extra money. The driver reluctantly helped squeeze us into the already overstuffed car. Little did we know that shortly the last car from Kade to Asuom would start loading. Needless to say the ride was extremely uncomfortable. The mate (the guy who opens the door and
takes everyone’s money) had to stand between me and the seat in front of me that my legs were already jammed against. He had to lean across the seat in front of me and I had two decisions. One was to strain my neck and look out the window or turn the other way right into the guys arm pit. Yeah it was probably one of the most miserable experiences of my life, but at long last we arrived at Kade in time to get a seat to Asuom. Within five minutes of us getting a seat the car filled and we were on our way home. It amazed me to think if the tro tro to Kade would have taken only five more minutes to leave or five more minutes on the road we would have been stranded in Kade. I know that it was Gods hand that made that possible. Although it wasn’t comfortable, a way was made for the work of the Lord to go forward. This week will be another week of travel but I hope it will be a bit less eventful.
Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment