Accra Ghana Mission/Accra Ghana West Mission

Monday, December 3, 2012

Going to the House of the Lord, Opposition and Appreciation

Dear Family,
Wow, this week has gone by much faster than I ever expected it to go! We were busy all throughout the week. We travelled to Oda early in the week and nearly got stranded there, but luckily we were able to make it home before 10:30. On Thursday we travelled to Koforidua for a zone conference that lasted all day and nearly got stranded in Abomosu. On Friday at 2:30 in the morning we travelled with our branch to Accra for the district temple trip. And we nearly made it the entire way back, except that about 1 mile from town the tro tro died. So we finished the trip walking back to our apartment. It was pretty great. Now that takes us to today! So I wanted to tell you how awesome my day was on Friday at the temple. So this week we lost a lot of sleep. Every day we travelled we had to wake up super early especially on Friday. The great thing is that no matter how tired you are or how hard you try it is impossible to sleep on a tro tro on the road from Asuom to Accra. I tried so hard but unfortunately nothing worked. Despite my serious lack of sleep. It was an awesome trip. 3 of my recent converts were able to come: Frank Afrifah, Emma Afumwaa, and Prince Antwi. I was really hoping that Prince would have a spiritual experience there. During the week I also was able to help one newly baptized member do some family history so that she was able to do some baptisms for the dead for her relatives. That was a bit stressful getting everything done and printed before we went into the temple. The temple like usual was awesome. It’s just so
great to be in The House of the Lord. I know that my recent converts felt the same way. It was so awesome to see my recent converts in the temple. I sure hope that they will be able to remember that experience they had forever. It is one I will never forget.
      One lesson that I have really learned since being in Ghana is the necessity for opposition in life. At times it never made sense to me. I always wondered like many others, “Why does God allow suffering to take place?” I’ve learned that it is only through opposition, trials, and suffering that we are able to grow, feel joy, and love. It is as much a part of our growth as gaining knowledge; it is one of the ways that we gain knowledge. The opposition, stress, tiredness all associated with what I am going through is what makes the good days so good. It’s what makes me slow down and appreciate the small mercies that the Lord gives to us. Even though it is not always pleasant I am happy to know that God loves me so much that he allows me to feel pain, and to suffer. He allows me to grow and live up to my true potential. Well I love and miss each and every one of you! I hope that each of you will have a great week!
Love,
Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment