This change that came over Nandy did not come because of our wisdom, or cleverness, but rather it was because we showed love and care. We told her that we loved her and that God loves her even more and wants her to return to him. Now she is making those steps and I can not wait. It all begins and ends with love.Currently we are working with a young girl of about 20 named Nandy. She is the daughter of a recent convert of about 9 months. She is not married but just recently gave birth to a baby. The missionaries had been teaching her but at the time they dropped her because she was, "not serious." Well my first Sunday in Jamestown she came to church and I began to talk to her and we began to visit her. Now it is true that at first she didn't seem serious. We had to beg her to give us time to meet with her. She came to church only when her father was coming which was usually every other week. Within the first few lessons as I came to really feel this love for Nandy that I know the Savior has I began to see a change in her. She smiled every time she would see us. We don't have to even ask if she has time for us because she makes time. On Sunday her father had travelled and I was very afraid that she wouldn't come, but she did. It was sad that only a few of investigators came but that one made up for all of them. My soul was just filled with joy as I saw her some into church all by herself. On Saturday she will be finalizing the change that she has made, and I can not wait for it.Hey Everyone!This week has been another long and busy week. Life in the office is pretty interesting. We're always going around and serving the other missionaries. It's fun, but a struggle at the same time. It is frustrating when I wish I could be spending more time with my investigators rather than sitting in traffic. But it has really been teaching me how to be more efficient and to really appreciate the time that I have. Now that my proselyting time is restricted I begin to really treasure the time that I have to spend with my investigators. It also is a big responsibility knowing that there are such high expectations of me here. It has really been a great blessing to me though in these past few weeks. I feel much more like I have a specific purpose for being there. I love it and it really led me to put more of my heart into it. To continually pour out more of my love to the people here. I love it. It truly is what makes the work so sweet. When I was first called to train I called my trainer to get some advice from him about how to be a good trainer. The one thing he told me was, "help your "greenie" to love the people. That was the main lesson I wanted you to learn." It is so true! Love is the great key to missionary work. If you have love for God and for the people the work just comes automatically, the spirit is present and that is the "power of God unto the convincing of men."
Well one exciting thing happened today! Elder Grow came through and shook all of our hands and asked where we were all from, so I told him Evanston Wy. He says really? Well I'll be at the next Stake Conference there! I said really! Well say hello to my Mom for me so he stepped forward and gave me a hug and said tell your mom to come and see me and I'll send a hug for her. You have a hug coming your way. Don't forget to go and say hi to him!
Love,Elder Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment