Accra Ghana Mission/Accra Ghana West Mission

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

A long week!


Dear Family,
Well... it's been a very very long week. Preparing things for mission tour on Tuesday and Wednesday, picking up the greenies on Thursday and preparing everything for transfers. Then our office council meeting on Friday and finally on Saturday we have our normal(not really) schedule. The mission tour's were all awesome. Elder Grow emphasized going to the rescue and helping those who are less active. We really haven't placed much emphasis on working with the less actives, but it is something that really needs to be done here in Ghana. Thursday we woke up super early to race to the MTC to pick up our greenies! It was actually a lot of fun. They just have a huge desire to serve and to be out in Ghana. They always have so many questions about Ghana and I caught myself asking if I acted like that when I was new in the field. I thought I was normal, but I was probably just as "green" as these new ones.
Saturday was probably one of my most difficult days on my mission. I have been looking forward to the baptism of Nandy for a long time. We had made sure that everything was prepared and ready. I was very anxious for it. Well, we came early to the chapel to prepare for the baptism and we waited and waited but she never came. It really just broke my heart. After seeing her make such progress and prepare so much, she just didn't come. It still is really bothering me. I know that her family all traveled to Dodowa, but she was planning on staying behind until after the baptism and then she was going to go, but she must have left before the baptism. Well this evening we will be stopping by to see her and see what the deal was.
Well I know this is a bit of a depressing email, but things are looking up. We have some great people that we are working with right now. I really love being in Jamestown. It's a lot like La. The people are just so humble and eager to learn about Jesus Christ. One of the missionaries going home this week named Elder Thom from Australia has been proselyting with us until he goes home and as his time is winding down he is really having a hard time going home. It's especially sad because everyday the window is closing. Every day Ghana is becoming more and more secular and is heading down the same pathway as Europe, and America. It is becoming increasingly resistant to religion and the odds are that by the time we have the opportunity to come back Ghana will be completely different. The people may not be as welcoming to religion as they are or as god fearing as they are. It really is a sad thought but a reminder that our time is limited. We have to do all we can now.
Love,
Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment