Hello Family,
Happy New Year! I hope that everyone had a Merry Christmas! Mine was really awesome. I was so happy to be able to talk to everyone and to skype! It was a great Christmas.
My week has been stressful to say the least. And it has seemed super long. I'm not entirely sure why. We've been so busy but the businessseemed to never end. We had the Christmas Party at the Ahajie's. It was a ton of fun. I ate lots of food and had a good time with all of the missionaries. I was able to see Elder Hurley and Elder Andoh which was fun. I sure do miss them. I was able to see Elder Hutchinson at transfers. He is companions with Elder Smith up in Abomosu. This past week because of him being sick he was brought back to the mission home and was able to spend some time with us. It is the first missionary in the mission that I've been able to talk to and talk about people that we both know. It was strange haha. Well we were able to buy him some KFC and he sure did enjoy that. He is doing much better now. He's had a difficult couple weeks. I know that he is going to be just an awesome missionary in the mission. I know Elder Smith will take good care of him. This is an interesting part of our responsibility as Office Elders. Whenever a missionary gets sick and has to come to the mission home it is our responsibility to take care of them. So again last night we had one Elder named Elder Richards from South Jordan come and stay in our apartment. He is from the Sierra Leone mission but he had to come and get surgery this week. He was telling us all about Sierra Leone and that is a difficult mission. When he came to Accra he felt like he was back home. Some people might thing that we have it hard here in Ghana but they have no idea. That mission makes ours look like a cakewalk.
Well enough of those silly things. Even though this week has been so busy it has been filled with some of the most spiritual lessons and experiences I've had. I so much love being able to teach people who read and understand the Book of Mormon. On Saturday we had the baptism for Josephine. She was being taught before I came and really I didn't have a big impact on her conversion but she is just a sweet girl, that I was so privileged to meet and help prepare her for baptism. She is about 17 and lives with her aunt and uncle. She is from the other side of Ghana in Brong Ahafo Region. She moved here quite some time ago because of some problems she had there. She had a very rough life, going through every form of abuse. She came to Accra and became good friends with a member who stays near to her. Then through simple things she found interest in the church and was able to meet with the missionaries. Even though she has had such a rough past every time we come she just has such a wonderful smile. It just makes me so happy every time I see it. She is always happy and smiling. I was able to do the babtism for her on Saturday and it was just awesome. I love my new area.
Now there is another girl that the missionaries had been teaching named Emerald. She is probably the most intelligent 17 year old I had met in Ghana. We would leave her a chapter in the Book of Mormon and the next day when we come she will be able to tell us in amazing detail what happened without glancing into it to remind her. We really struggled at first she would pray and didn't feel like she had received an answer. We worked really hard to help her gain her answer. Yesterday was probably one of the best lessons I had, had with her. She told us before that it would be difficult for her to be able to come to church and be baptized. She told us that her mom would not allow it. So she had read the first two chapters in the Book of Mormon so we left her Chapter 3 to read before we came. To yesterday when we came she told us that she received her answer and she knows the Book of Mormon is true. (There is not much that makes me happier then when my investigators say that!) We discussed about Nephi and getting the plates of brass and how God would always provide a way. We explained the similarity between what was asked of Nephi and what was being asked of her. It was such an awesome and powerful lesson. I left that lesson feeling on top of the world. So as you can see being a missionary is awesome. It is so much fun to teach with power and authority. It just feels good.
Love,
Elder Smith
Happy New Year! I hope that everyone had a Merry Christmas! Mine was really awesome. I was so happy to be able to talk to everyone and to skype! It was a great Christmas.
My week has been stressful to say the least. And it has seemed super long. I'm not entirely sure why. We've been so busy but the businessseemed to never end. We had the Christmas Party at the Ahajie's. It was a ton of fun. I ate lots of food and had a good time with all of the missionaries. I was able to see Elder Hurley and Elder Andoh which was fun. I sure do miss them. I was able to see Elder Hutchinson at transfers. He is companions with Elder Smith up in Abomosu. This past week because of him being sick he was brought back to the mission home and was able to spend some time with us. It is the first missionary in the mission that I've been able to talk to and talk about people that we both know. It was strange haha. Well we were able to buy him some KFC and he sure did enjoy that. He is doing much better now. He's had a difficult couple weeks. I know that he is going to be just an awesome missionary in the mission. I know Elder Smith will take good care of him. This is an interesting part of our responsibility as Office Elders. Whenever a missionary gets sick and has to come to the mission home it is our responsibility to take care of them. So again last night we had one Elder named Elder Richards from South Jordan come and stay in our apartment. He is from the Sierra Leone mission but he had to come and get surgery this week. He was telling us all about Sierra Leone and that is a difficult mission. When he came to Accra he felt like he was back home. Some people might thing that we have it hard here in Ghana but they have no idea. That mission makes ours look like a cakewalk.
Well enough of those silly things. Even though this week has been so busy it has been filled with some of the most spiritual lessons and experiences I've had. I so much love being able to teach people who read and understand the Book of Mormon. On Saturday we had the baptism for Josephine. She was being taught before I came and really I didn't have a big impact on her conversion but she is just a sweet girl, that I was so privileged to meet and help prepare her for baptism. She is about 17 and lives with her aunt and uncle. She is from the other side of Ghana in Brong Ahafo Region. She moved here quite some time ago because of some problems she had there. She had a very rough life, going through every form of abuse. She came to Accra and became good friends with a member who stays near to her. Then through simple things she found interest in the church and was able to meet with the missionaries. Even though she has had such a rough past every time we come she just has such a wonderful smile. It just makes me so happy every time I see it. She is always happy and smiling. I was able to do the babtism for her on Saturday and it was just awesome. I love my new area.
Now there is another girl that the missionaries had been teaching named Emerald. She is probably the most intelligent 17 year old I had met in Ghana. We would leave her a chapter in the Book of Mormon and the next day when we come she will be able to tell us in amazing detail what happened without glancing into it to remind her. We really struggled at first she would pray and didn't feel like she had received an answer. We worked really hard to help her gain her answer. Yesterday was probably one of the best lessons I had, had with her. She told us before that it would be difficult for her to be able to come to church and be baptized. She told us that her mom would not allow it. So she had read the first two chapters in the Book of Mormon so we left her Chapter 3 to read before we came. To yesterday when we came she told us that she received her answer and she knows the Book of Mormon is true. (There is not much that makes me happier then when my investigators say that!) We discussed about Nephi and getting the plates of brass and how God would always provide a way. We explained the similarity between what was asked of Nephi and what was being asked of her. It was such an awesome and powerful lesson. I left that lesson feeling on top of the world. So as you can see being a missionary is awesome. It is so much fun to teach with power and authority. It just feels good.
Love,
Elder Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment