Accra Ghana Mission/Accra Ghana West Mission

Monday, January 14, 2013

Busy Busy


Hello Family,
I don’t really understand but these past weeks are not going fast at all. It is the strangest thing because I am always busy. I’m always stressing to find time to actually teach our investigators but it’s difficult when you are travelling all over Accra delivering things. This coming week is going to be even more intense as we have the Mission Tour with Elder C. Scott Grow of the Seventy starting next week. We will be doing all sorts of things preparing for it. To make things even worse, we found out last night that transfers will be a week earlier than expected. So not only will we be preparing everything for the mission tour but also preparing new apartments and area’s to open up. It sure is going to be hectic. I was hoping to get my driver’s license but again no luck. We were going to get me a Ghana license but the problem is that you have to get a residential permit put on my passport which you get when you’ve been in Ghana for a year, but it seems as if it is hit and miss. They are supposed to do it to all of them but when we collected mine it wasn’t there. So… we had to order an international permit and hopefully when someone comes on the 30th they can deliver it to me. So I still cannot drive. Another problem is that once I get my license I will only have basically 3 weeks with my current companion before I get a new one. I better be a fast learner. Despite all of the traffic and running around though, it has been a great week. There are some really awesome people we are working with. On Saturday we had the baptism for Brother Joshua N. I had a very cool experience, we asked him who he would like to baptize him and we gave him some suggestions from the branch and just told him to think about it and the next time we come he could choose. Well when we came back he told us he had decided and he wanted me to perform the baptism. I was thrilled! So on Saturday we had a very nice baptism for him. It’s funny because he really reminds me of Jeff. Joshua is about 19 and just acts very similar to the way Jeff does. It’s been such a sweet experience to teach and especially to baptize him. He is one of my favorite people I have worked with. Lastly, there is one investigator that we are currently working with called Brother T. He is one of the coolest guys I have met. He is a doctor at the Hospital. He is a super intelligent man who has so many sincere questions. He is always reading from the Book of Mormon with a desire to know if it is true. The real problem is that at the hospital he works from 6 AM to 2 PM every single day. He is going on leave for about 18 days and promised us that he will be coming to church. I cannot wait for him to come. He isn’t married but he has a son named M. We call him Mack. He is possibly the cutest little kid I’ve seen. T is trying so hard to raise him being a single father and he is really finding it very difficult, but one thing is for sure he loves his son. We walked with him for a little while just talking to him after one of our lessons and he brought Mack with him. They held hands the entire time and as they left us they were holding hands walking back to their house. It was just so awesome because you just don’t see a father and a son like that in Ghana. It’s just not the culture. He is a man who needs to be a member of the church.
Well, yes I love being a missionary. It’s fantastic.
Love,
Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment