Accra Ghana Mission/Accra Ghana West Mission

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

New Companion Elder Colton Hurley and a humble people in La

 Dear Family,
Well things are going well again here in Ghana. It was really hard to say goodbye again to all of the people in West Adenta. Even though I was only there for 6 weeks I really grew close to some of the members and investigators. So I am now serving in La or Labadi. My companion is pretty cool. He is Elder Hurley from California. We are really similar and are getting along really well.  Rumor has it that Labadi used to be a village called La before the British came, and when they came, the village didn't like the British, so the British named it Labadi and it has stayed that way ever since. It's formally called Labadi but if you call it that the people here will get very offended. Well La itself is really cool. It's probably the poorest area in Accra quite different than what I expected. It's in the same district as Cantonments which is probably one of the nicer parts of Accra but the missionaries assigned to that area, stay with us in our apartment in La. Our apartment isn't great but I wasn't expecting much. No more hot showers for awhile. The good thing about this area is that the people are really humble. Especially, when you are in Accra the people can be really prideful and a bit ignorant and unwilling to listen, but here in La they are humble and willing to listen. This ward sounds like it's going to be really great. They have like an army of ward missionaries, it's great. The ward is really involved in missionary work and I've heard that it is one of the strongest in Ghana. They have a rented building here in La because it's nearly impossible to find a place to build a chapel. The area is really packed to the max with people’s homes and it's really difficult for them to find a place suitable for a chapel. They really need to find a place soon though because every Sunday the chapel is full. Like we didn't get a place to sit because it was completely full. It's strange at times to see a church full on Sunday, it just shows how faithful some of the members are. You can tell that these members didn't join just because it is a big church or because it seemed nice. They know that it is true. They are willing to sacrifice a bit of comfort every Sunday because they know how important it is to partake of the Sacrament. My faith has grown so much as I have seen some of the trials of these people but they're increased faithfulness in the church.  So yeah again, I love being here in Ghana. I love it.

Love,
Elder Smith

P.S..
There is a lady here who is Ghanaian but she lives in America and she is visiting for some small time and she is really awesome. She met the missionaries in America and was baptized there. She said she would fix them African food all the time. She says that all missionaries are like her boys. She is so loving it's really neat. She feeds us every time we see her and all she asks is that we pray with her before we leave. I’m going to be really sad when she leaves to go back to America
.

No comments:

Post a Comment